Vieux-Port de Marseille
The Old Port is the oldest port of Marseille, as well as historical and cultural center of the city since its foundation on this site in antiquity. The port was the economic center of Marseille until the mid-nineteenth century, opened on trade in the Mediterranean Sea and French colonies. Commercial port activities were then moved to other sites further north: the basins of the present Grand seaport of Marseille.
|The auxiliary port is also expanded the Friioul. The port expansion continues with the Act of June 10, 1854 and the Decree of 23 November 1856 ordering the construction of ponds and Lazaretto Arenc and pool construction Napoleon (1859) 4. To connect the old and the new port, Imperial Street is paved.WWII overturns part of the Old Port: the old neighborhood on the north shore is dynamited by the Nazis with the help of the French police during the "raid of Marseilles."|
Between 22 and 24 January 1943, 30,000 people living in older neighborhoods are expelled. Friday 22 begins a raid aimed at the Jewish population of the neighborhoods of the Old Port: several thousand people were arrested, including several hundred Jews who are sent to the French internment camps and extermination camps 5. House by house, the 1500 buildings of the Old Port are then blown up, leaving a field of ruins. The Transporter Bridge was destroyed in 1944.
The north shore area is rebuilt by the architect Fernand Pouillon in 1948. On this occasion, the dolia dating from Roman times are found and are exposed in situ in the Museum of Roman docks.
In 1976, all fishing activities and the Auction fish are transferred to the port of Saumaty. Passenger traffic and goods is done at the Grand seaport of Marseille (formerly Port Authority) in the basins north of the Old Port, or the side of Fos-sur-Mer. The Old Port is now essentially a municipal marina, completed in this function through the ports of La Pointe Rouge, Friuli and L'Estaque. The only activity is to shuttle passengers to tourist destination of the Chateau d'If, Islands of Frioul and creeks of Marseille.